Thursday, August 2, 2018

Miles across Ontario

There's not a lot to report today.  Tommie drove 335 miles across Ontario and we bypassed both Ottawa and Montreal.  A lot of the highway ran beside the Ottawa River and then the St Lawrence.  Some of it was pretty hilly and again ran between rock walls and evergreens.  These are not old-growth evergreens but are relatively young.  We saw a lot of marshy spots that looked like they would house beavers.  In Ontario, most road signs are in both English and French...one sign right after the other.  After we crossed into Quebec, everything is in French.  I was trying to dig up my over-50-year-old French to remember words!  Downloading Google Translate helps!

We stopped to buy some $3.60/gallon (US) gas and briefly went into their "No Frills" store (its real name!), and I picked up a few groceries.  We didn't stay long since our rig was taking up a lot of parking spaces!

I spent a lot of time online looking for a campground.  There are not a lot very close to the highway but I picked one near the town of St. Barthelemy, QC.  It's about 5 miles off the highway and has mostly seasonal residents, but I managed to talk to the owners enough to get a spot for tonight.

So far, we've been unimpressed with some of the people here.  One trucker kept blowing his horn and giving us the bird for some unknown reason.  Other drivers blew the horn angrily when we were driving in the left lane to avoid the horrible patches in the right lane.  (I'm sure the average person has no idea what it's like to be on a bad road in a motorhome!) And, we said hello to a number of residents at this campground as we walked around and many didn't acknowledge us!  It's definitely not like the South!

Zoe sleeps with her tongue sticking out!

Crossing the Ottawa River

Stop sign in French

At least this campsite isn't muddy like last night's!

No comments:

Post a Comment