It's been a LONG day! We got up at 5:00am and got moving soon after 5:30. We had almost everything ready to roll before we went to bed. We got to the ferry terminal at 6:45 and there were only two cars in line. The woman at the toll booth said there aren't usually too many trucks on Fridays so there should be room for us. We brushed our teeth and ate breakfast while we waited for the 8:00am ferry. They started loading around 7:45. When I had called earlier, they had told us that they only took reservations for FOUR camping units over 7 feet tall, and there were only two other camping trailers, one bus, and a few trucks, so I think they lied to us! There was lots of extra space! We could have made a reservation and not worried so much!
The ferry ride was fun! It lasted just about an hour. The signs said that passengers could not stay on the vehicle deck during the crossing, but no one told us we had to leave the motorhome, so I don't think it really mattered. I think most of the cars were on a lower deck. We had a hard time finding the door to go up and had to ask. The dogs stayed in the motorhome and were fine. We had a beautiful blue sky and great views! It reminded me of crossing the Atlantic on a ship in the summer of 1963.
I had an email from Chase bank and my Visa card has been hijacked and they have to cancel it. I haven't used it in Canada since it has a 3% foreign transaction fee, but we bought gas on it twice on the trip to Wisconsin, so I guess there was a skimmer somewhere. What a pain! Whoever got the number first did a one-cent charge, which of course was a test, and that alerted the bank. I had talked to them last week and told them I didn't make that charge, so they put a flag on the account, and someone just tried to make two major on-line purchases with it which they declined. If we stay somewhere long enough, I can call and they will overnight the new card to us.
After the ferry, we had a few more hours of driving to our campground in Baddeck, Nova Scotia. We got settled and headed in to check out the town. It's a picturesque, touristy town. We spent over an hour at the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. I had not known how many things he invented! He would design something new and instead of promoting it, move onto something else more interesting. He and his father were both very much into helping the deaf learn to speak.
 |
| We don't see many sunrises! |
 |
| Loading the ferry |
 |
Tight lanes!
We were glad no one was next to us! |
 |
| View from the stern |
 |
| From the bow |
 |
| The other ferry going the other way |
 |
| Arriving at Caribou |
 |
| Cars lined up to go to PEI |
 |
Lots of hills.
Looks a lot like the NC foothills! |
 |
| The causeway into Cape Breton |
 |
| Bras D'Or Lake |
 |
| Alexander Graham Bell museum |
 |
| His Silver Dart airplane (replica) |
 |
| Patio in front of the museum |
 |
| View from the patio |
 |
| Look at those rose thorns! |
No comments:
Post a Comment