Yellowstone: day 2 - Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and more bears & bison
Once again, I'm writing this very late! We had a long day, and then I had problems with iPhoto. (Had to call my west coast "tech support" for help!)
We went back to Yellowstone and drove the upper loop. On the road to Fishing Bridge, we again saw the mother grizzly and her cubs, but this time we didn't stay as long to watch. I think she's a regular in that area.
We stopped at the Canyon visitor center and then drove the three roads into the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. There are two impressive falls and lots of trails...both long and short. The canyon is really beautiful and colorful. I haven't looked back, but I'm sure many of these pictures are repeats of what I took in 2013. We did see an osprey nest perched on top of one of the stone spires, and both parents were there feeding the chicks.
We drove up to Mammoth Hot Springs but there was no parking at the base and it was getting late in the day, so we didn't stop, but we drove the loop at the top.
As we drove south on the west part of the upper loop, the traffic came to a total stop. There was a herd of female bison with their calves several cars ahead of us, walking along the road, going in our direction. We were too far back to see much, but were creeping along at the speed of a bison walk for about 30 minutes. They did not seem inclined to move over! The only thing that made them move was a noisy gravel truck that came out of a side road, and the bison headed into the woods and walked beside the road.
There goes the mom and cubs across the road.
Can you believe that idiot woman standing outside her car?
I'll bet they have a lot of business!
Upper falls at Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
Look at the colors on the canyon walls!
Everybody poses at this spot!
We did NOT take that path on the other side of the canyon!
Lower falls
Another path we did not take!
That is a LONG way down!
Osprey nest on top of a spire
Both parents are on the nest.
Rock wall beside the highway
Baxter took it easy!
Elk in front of Mammoth Hot Springs
Bison cows & calves
Tundra swans (Thanks to Pat for the photo! Hers was much better than mine!)
No comments:
Post a Comment