The Grand Teton National Park is about 35 miles north of our campground, and we went there to spend the day. We took the Gros Ventre Road first since a neighbor had told us it was a good place to see wildlife, but we didn't see anything there. But, the scenery is amazing! The mountain range is gorgeous behind the meadows filled with wildflowers. And there were lots of ground squirrels scurrying across the road that I had to watch out for! We saw a lake that was created when a huge landslide slid down the nearby mountain in 1925. It was one of the largest earth movements in the world.
Next, we headed north through the main road in the park and took some of the overlook roads. There's a one-way scenic drive past Jenny Lake and we took the dogs for a walk since they are allowed on the paved portions. On the way there, we saw a few cars stopped on the road ahead, and the people were looking at a cinnamon black bear in the woods. I got a picture of his back and ears before he wandered further into the woods.
We drove to the top of Signal Mountain for a view of valley and Jackson Lake below with the mountains in the distance. And we stopped at the dam on Jackson Lake and also took a short walk around Coulter Bay with the dogs.
On our way back down, we decided to take the Jenny Lake loop again to see if our bear was still around. We thought we glimpsed him again, but there was a car on my tail, and I couldn't pull off in time to look. So, we went back and around the loop again and this time we did see him! I had to back up some, and I know the driver behind me was confused until the bear ran across the road in front of us! It was probably the same one we had seen earlier, since we think he hangs around that area. I could have gotten more pictures if I hadn't had to worry about backing into the car approaching from behind.
 |
| Cell tower disguised as a tree! |
 |
| Stunning scenery! |
 |
| That's where the massive slide came from. |
 |
| Remains of Morman Row |
 |
| Top half of our bear! |
 |
| Jenny Lake |
 |
| Boats on Jenny Lake |
 |
| Baxter was ready for a swim |
 |
| There are lots of yellow wildflowers |
 |
| Jackson Lake from Signal Mountain |
 |
Is this why it's called Signal Mountain?
This cell tower is at the top, and I had 5 bars of LTE! |
 |
| Jackson Lake behind the dam |
 |
| Coulter Bay marina |
 |
| Our bear! |
 |
| Elk antler arch in Jackson, WY |
 |
Stagecoach in Jackson
Sunset at our campground
|
No comments:
Post a Comment