Thursday, August 8, 2019

Peak to Peak Byway and another dirt road!

The day started out overcast so we were glad we had already seen most of the Rocky Mountain Park.  We planned a loop road, the first part of which is what they call the Peak-to-Peak Byway.  It runs from Estes Park south to I-70 near Idaho Springs.  We went near or through the towns of Peaceful Valley, Nederland, Black Hawk, and Central City.  Those latter two are almost adjacent to each other and have become huge casino/resort towns. The state has even built a major 4-lane highway connecting them to I-70. We had read about an unpaved road connecting Central City and Idaho Springs that they label as "OMG Road", but couldn't find the north end of it, so took the freeway down to I-70.  I asked at a visitor center there how to find the road and got instructions. Its real name is the Virginia Canyon Road. I couldn't find it on Google maps on my phone, and didn't have a signal after I left the town anyway, so we were dependent on the GPS for help. When we first started up the road, the surface was so bad that we almost turned around several times, but couldn't find a place to do so, so we kept going.  We met a car (one of two on the whole drive), and the driver said it got better.  There were two places where there was a junction with no road signs and it was hard to tell which way to go. We finally made it back to Central City and took more pictures of the town and the giant casinos and parking decks they have and are still building.

From Black Hawk, we drove down 219 to get to highway 6, which is a beautiful drive through Clear Creek Canyon and then north through Boulder and back to Estes Park.  We had rain off and on, so I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked.

Starting out of Estes Park on Highway 7




Casino in Central City



I'm sure this town street gets crowded later in the day!

Street sign to our dirt road.

Nice houses in Central City.
It used to be a booming mining town and now they are making casino money!






Tunnels on the road to Idaho Springs

Starting up our dirt road

Hairpin turn

Mining tailings


Looking down at the road we came up

I think we're looking at Idaho Springs here

We came a long way on that dirt road!

A little piece of it was paved!

Abandoned mining buildings

That building says "Russell Gulch,
established in 1859, elevation 9280."

Abandoned mining equipment

Saloon in Central City

Some of the many casinos.
There was no way to get far enough away to show the size.


Clear Creek Canyon



Heading up to Boulder


Overlooking Estes Park





No comments:

Post a Comment