We waited a little while in Wyoming before we left, since we had about four hours to drive and couldn't check into our next campground until 1:00pm. It turned out that the trip took longer than that, since the drive from I-25 to Estes Park is mountainous and winding, and we went very slowly! We pulled over a lot to let cars pass us.
Estes Park reminds us of Gatlinburg...lots of little shops and people walking everywhere! It's really hard to drive through with all the pedestrians....especially in a motorhome!
Our campground has nice views of the mountains, and is only a mile from the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. After we got set up, we drove to the visitor center and got maps and talked to the ranger about what to do here. The road to Bear Lake will be having construction on Thursday and Friday, so he suggested doing that before then. There are several festivals in Estes Park this weekend, so the town will be even more crowded!
We went ahead and made the drive to Bear Lake. When we got there, Tommie stayed in the car with Baxter since dogs are not allowed on the trails and I walked the half-mile around the lake. (I really think it's more!) When I was climbing the incline, I wondered why I was so winded until I remembered we're at 9500 feet, so I hope that was the reason!
We’ll start out early tomorrow, since there will be crowds at all the viewpoints.
 |
| Strange rock formations. I think this was still in Wyoming. |
 |
| Long road ahead! |
 |
| Rocky Mountains in the distance |
 |
| Starting the drive through the gorge to Estes Park |
 |
| Coming into Estes Park with the Rockies in the background |
 |
| Mule deer watching us |
 |
| Bear Lake. Look how clear the water is! |
 |
I think this was a steller's jay.
He wouldn't hold still for me to get a clear shot! |
 |
| Flowers on the cliff at the back of Bear Lake |
 |
Golden mantled ground squirrel
(Often mistaken for a chipmunk.) |
 |
Wild turkey beside the road.
I stopped in the middle of the road to take this. When other
cars came up behind me, I pointed to them and moved on
but then all the cars behind me stopped to look! |
 |
| Magpies having a discussion in the campground. |
No comments:
Post a Comment