We're at a campground with no Internet and I only have one bar on an extended network, so I hope this makes it out! We rode to another town with better cell phone service so I could load the pictures.
We waited a while to leave Seattle to try and avoid some of the rush-hour traffic. As we got out of town, we entered rugged mountains southeast of the city. The mountains soon gave way to hills, and then the landscape was nothing except dry brown grass and sagebrush..just like an old western movie! We climbed some buttes and there was more of the same. We saw Rainier in the distance and said goodbye!
Eventually, the landscape became rolling hills ..mostly tan, but some with other colors....interspersed with rocky cliffs. There are lots of big, white windmills dotting the ridges. We could see the immense gorge from above and it was breath-taking! I took dozens of pictures as we descended into it.
We are camped at the LePage Park campground on the John Day River, which feeds the Columbia. We rode a little way east on I-84 which is right beside the gorge. This is the arid part of the gorge, and we saw two sets of big horn sheep feeding on the hills. Since we were in the interstate, I didn't try and stop for a picture!
 |
| Wedding flowers decorate our RV! |
 |
| Baxter recovering from a tough night at the wedding |
 |
| We started out in mountains |
 |
| Then moved to foothills |
 |
| Then desolate country with sagegrass |
 |
| Saying goodbye to Rainier |
 |
| Hello to Mt Hood |
 |
| Lots and lots of windmills! |
 |
| Windmills look like art |
 |
| First views of the gorge |
 |
| Along the river |
No comments:
Post a Comment