We are now three hours behind the folks at home, and are trying to adjust! The days are really long here, with sunrise before 6:00AM, and it doesn't get dark until about 10:00PM. We go to bed early and get up early.
We left West Glacier and rode back through Columbia Falls and picked up highway 93
to head north. Whitefish is a beautiful
town! Eureka is another little town that would be
nice to spend some time in. There, we
turned off highway 2 onto 37 to travel a scenic byway beside Lake Koocanusa. We saw quite a few groups of deer, including
one doe who crossed in front of us with her fawn on the other side. We waited until the baby hopped across to join mom.
We saw the Libby Dam from the highway and crossed into Idaho
near Bonners Ferry. We're at a campground in Wilbur, WA. which is only about 20 miles south of the Grand
Coulee Dam, so we rode up there. They
have a great visitor center. There are
miles of wide fields between Wilbur and the dam. We wish we knew what the crops are….some
sorts of grain.
 |
A small lake between Whitefish and Eureka
(taken through the driver's window) |
 |
Lake Koocanusa
(I don't know how to pronounce it!
It obviously has something to do with Canada and the USA) |
 |
| Lake Koocanusa again |
 |
| Libby Dam |
 |
| Kootenai River below the Libby Dam |
 |
| I think these are mustard fields like the ones we saw in Polson, MT |
 |
I tried to get a closeup. This isn't quite in focus,
but I took it out of the side window going 60 MPH! |
 |
| Roosevelt Lake above Grand Coulee Dam |
 |
| Columbia River below Grand Coulee Dam |
 |
| Lots of water over the dam! |
 |
This is a STRAIGHT road!
I took this while driving 60MPH (Tommie was holding the wheel)
The town you can see at the end is 8 miles away! |
 |
Is this wheat?
My dad would have known! |
The grain looks more like barley. Washington state grows mostly wheat and barley. At least they did when I worked with Ag R&D years.
ReplyDeleteMary Ann