Thursday, June 13, 2013

Amazing South Dakota scenery

After spending the morning riding around the other loop of the Badlands (see previous entry), we packed up the motorhome and drove just over an hour to a campground a little south of Rapid City.  It's a really classy place with a classy price, but is easy to get to, is centrally located for what we want to see and is extremely clean.  It also has another dog park for Baxter's frisbee!

After we got settled, we ate lunch and started the drive to Custer State Park.  We drove all of the loops in the park: Wildlife Loop Road, Iron Mountain Road, Peter Norbeck Scenic Highway, and Needles Highway.  They all have wonderful views, and we enjoyed seeing more bison, several antelope, a white-tailed deer, more prairie dogs, and a chipmunk.

Much of the landscape has lots of weird, pointy rock formations.  There are several narrow one-way tunnels.  And, of course, there are views of Mount Rushmore.

I got kind of carried away with these pictures.  I took lots of them from my car window, so had to be fast.  Fortunately, there weren't many cars on the road, so I could just stop in the middle of the road where there wasn't room to pull off.

When I loaded them onto my computer, there were 95 pictures and 3 videos!  I won't bore you with them all!

Where the antelope play....

Doesn't she have pretty eyes?


These tunnels were built so that they would frame the Mt Rushmore monument.





One way!  It doesn't look big enough for a car to go through.

This one is called the eye of the needle.
 I couldn't get any further away from it to show the whole thing.


He was so fast it was hard to get his picture!




One more huge bison.
We passed one campground with one this size grazing right next to the campers!

No comments:

Post a Comment