Saturday, July 4, 2015

Small Town Fourth of July

We went into Custer this morning to see their Fourth of July parade. The children came first with decorated bicycles and dogs. There were fire trucks and other emergency vehicles and cars and trucks with VFW and American Legion members. They had loudspeakers to announce who was in the vehicles, and I'm sure lots of the locals knew the folks.

They have a nice museum on Custer history in the old courthouse, and we went there next. They had craft and food vendors on the courthouse lawn. Across the street were games for children. Tonight there will be fireworks at 10PM, so we'll drive a couple of blocks to see those. We could probably see them from the entrance to our campground but we'll go a little further.  I'll add some more pictures if I get any good fireworks pictures.

We spent a lot of the day, trying to decide what to do with our last week before we get to Oshkosh. We'll go to the Badlands for a few days on Monday, and then spend our last three days (July 13-15) at the Wisconsin Dells, but we haven't figured out what to do in between! Any suggestions? We've seen the Corn Palace!

This guy was in the mood!

Kids in the parade


Spectators down the street


Old Custer courthouse.
There are painted bison statues all over the town.
I took pictures of some of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment