Wednesday, July 20, 2016

North end of the Door Peninsula

We headed north to see what's on the upper end of this peninsula.  First, we took the road to the Cana Island Lighthouse.  We parked in the lot and started walking to the tip of the cape, but the path is (always, I think) covered in several inches of water across rocks.  I had on water shoes, but none of the others did.  I walked across and found that they do have a tractor that will take you across, but it wouldn't start running for another half hour, so we didn't wait.

There's not a perimeter road around the east side of the peninsula, so we drove to the west side, since it's only about nine miles across.  We stopped at two county parks.  The first one was Ellison Bluff County Park, which has a short walk down to a great overlook.  You can look down at least 100 feet to the water of the bay.  We then drove to Door Bluff Headlands County Park, but the walk from there was through the woods, and as soon as I got out of the car, the biting flies swarmed all over my legs, so I hopped back in and we didn't check anything out there.

We drove to the end of the peninsula where there are ferries to Washington Island, but didn't go across.  We drove back through the harbor towns of Sister Bay, Ephraim (my favorite), Fish Creek, and Egg Harbor before heading back to the campground.

Warer-covered pathway to the lighthouse



Walkway down to the viewpoint at Ellison Bluff

Baxter taking in the view!




Marina at Egg Harbor

Who needs that kind or power?!! (FIVE, 400-HP motors!)


The same park in Bailey's Harbor we visited at dusk last night.



No comments:

Post a Comment