We left our campground outside Oklahoma City and drove through the rest of Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle and a few miles into New Mexico. As we were getting close to the Oklahoma border, the landscape started to look different. We saw our first buttes and sagebrush. There's lots of wild yucca blooming beside the road. And, you can see for miles! The wind was blowing a lot, but since they have had a lot of rain, there wasn't much dust.
We stopped at the Texas visitor center which is a really unusual building. We ate lunch in the parking lot there. Later we stopped at the New Mexico welcome center and picked up some good literature.
Many of my pictures are taken through the motorhome front windows. I try hard not to get window glare and to avoid bug smashes, but sometimes it's not quite possible! I've learned to snap fast and watch for trucks coming from either direction!
We picked a campground in Tucumcari, and it's mostly gravel, but I think we have seen our last grass for awhile! I think Baxter won't get to play any more Frisbee for several weeks! We went into the town to see the relics of Route 66 which they are trying to promote for tourism. There are a lot of 50's-style motels, some of which are still in business. There are lots of closed restaurants, service stations, and other businesses, which are in various stages of disarray. It's really pretty sad!
We wanted to see the Tucumcari Trading Post which I had read about, but unfortunately, it was closed, even though it was not late in the afternoon. We have passed through two time zones, but our bodies are still on Eastern time.
 |
| Oklahoma buttes in the distance |
 |
| Pretty red roof in front of weird red hills |
 |
| Mom, why aren't you throwing my toy? |
 |
| Windmills in the distance. They are everywhere! |
 |
| Yuccas everywhere, too! |
 |
| Texas visitor center on I-40 |
 |
| View from the visitor center |
 |
| Texas buttes |
 |
| Texas grass & sagebrush |
 |
| Mountain below Tucumcari. You can see it from miles away! |
 |
| Our campsite with the mountain in the background. |
 |
| Tucumcari Trading Post |
 |
| Looks like it was open just yesterday! |
 |
| Sunset from the campground |
 |
| Reflection of the sunset. Too bad the truck stops are in the foreground! |
I think the picture looks pretty nice with the truck stops! The lights make the horizon kind of interesting.
ReplyDelete