Tuesday, August 6, 2013

California's Highway 1 & Drive-through tree

Since we didn't take the infamous Highway 1 on our way south to Fort Bragg, we went back north on it in the car.  The first third of the road is coastal, and the rest winds through the mountains of the coastal range.  We had heard horror stories, but it wasn't all that bad (in a car, at least!)  We did see some RV's and they seemed to be doing OK.  The pavement was great and most of the road wasn't too narrow.  There were lots of hairpin curves in the mountains, but none were scary.

At the northern end, where US 1 meets Highway 101 is Leggett, which has one of the drive-through trees.  They charge $5 a car to go into the park, and it's pretty nice.  It is really dry, so there's a lot of dust on the road.  I hopped out so I could take a picture while Tommie drove our car through.   I saw a GMC Yukon coming through the tree, so I asked if they wanted me to use their camera and take their picture, and they were delighted!  There's a gift shop there where I bought a pair of redwood cone earrings.  Amazingly, redwood cones are about the size of an olive! When we were ready to leave, I circled around and drove through the tree again since I was't in the car the first time.

After that, we made the return trip back down Highway 1 to Fort Bragg.  We explored the city some and the little harbor where our campground is.


Our plan for tomorrow is to drive the RV south on Highway 1 to Bodega Bay.  We’ve asked a lot of people how that part of the highway is, and everyone has a different answer!  Some say it’s awful and others say that the northern part is the worst, and we didn’t think it was all that bad.  It’s sort of like opinions of campgrounds….everyone has a different one!


Our little car fit through easily!

Looking at the gift shop from inside the tree

This curve is REALY sharp!
(I stopped and looked back to take this one.)

This is a fun truck to meet on these curves!
It's loaded with logs.

Bird poop rock
There's no shortage of cormorants here!

Pretty flowers beside the road

You can see three levels of the road in this picture.


Tree tunnel

We see lots of these...
Dianne tells me they are Red Hot Pokers/Torch Lilies

The harbor at our campground

More of the harbor

I went on the bridge to look back at our campground.
Our motorhome is almost in the center.

Fishing boat coming into the harbor

Looking into the harbor through the bridge

More weird plants

They call these "naked ladies"
They are Amaryllis belladonna


Gulls just after I fed them our leftover bread.
(And yes, I know they don't get any nutrition from bread,
but it's fun!)

1 comment:

  1. Love these pics. The yellow flower looks like a type of poppy and the orange spikes look like Red Hot Poker/Torch Lily. I wish they grew wild around here!

    ReplyDelete